I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:46:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  CBS's Undercover Boss includes TV's best portrayal of dialyzor
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CBS's Undercover Boss includes TV's best portrayal of dialyzor  (Read 5108 times)
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« on: February 08, 2010, 09:44:30 AM »

Did you watch Undercover Boss last night after the Super Bowl? I have a post up on my blog with video embedded:CBS's Undercover Boss includes TV's best portrayal of dialyzor

By Bill Peckham

After the Super Bowl, CBS premiered a new show - Undercover Boss.It's a new reality show where corporate leaders take entry level jobs at their companies. The premier shows Waste Management President Larry O'Donnell going undercover as Randy and working a range of jobs, from cleaning porta-potties to running residential garbage pick-up routes.

One of the jobs was policing blowing garbage at a landfill (UPDATED video - CBS has made a clip with Walter available):

The dialyzor, Walter Settles, is the supervisor who fires Randy - he fires his company's COO.

Watch the full episode, the segment with Walter starts at the 11:44 mark. At 13:47 there's this bit of dialogue:

Walter
: I'm on dialysis and that take up three days .. three nights anyway.I lost the functions in my kidneys

Randy: I would have never guessed that you have that kinda health issue. I've been marching up and down those hills picking up trash - you come marching up there. How do you do all that?

Walter
: I let my spirit tell my body what's going to happen what I'm going to do what I'm not going to do, because if I let the body tell me what I'm going to do I'm not going to do very much.

Randy: You have such a positive attitude do you work with other people on dialysis?

Walter: I would like to but as long as I can work and I'm able to work I'm going to work ...when I see a perfectly healthy person dragging around, and I can go out there and work circles around them, and he can't do this and can't ...that really pisses me off there, because I wish I was healthy ... you should be able to do more than I do. If I can get out there and fill two bags in 10 minutes, I'm expecting you to do three bags in ten minutes

It's was good television. And it really could have only happened on a reality show. If the show was written we would have never seen someone on dialysis in a physical job.

At the end of the show Larry/Randy's real identity is revealed. When Larry reveals himself to Walter he mentions Walter has been on dialysis19 or 20 years and promises Walter the opportunity to volunteer on the company clock.

I think outside of news pieces this marks two television firsts -showing someone who has been on dialysis a long time and showing someone on dialysis working a job that is physically hard. Undercover boss showed a long time dialyzor who has to shower after work. We're out there; it was a pleasant surprise to see this accurate, positive portrayal.                     
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:48:36 AM by Bill Peckham » Logged

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 09:51:41 AM »

I thought Walter was a great inspiration.   He was working circles around Randy.    There is another episode with 7-11 executive and he is working with a dynamite lady at a local store. He finds out she is on dialysis.   Great stories and wonderful role models.   Thanks Bill, for posting this.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 03:31:34 PM »

I watched the show and was totally impressed with the COO's attitude. What a great guy.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 04:14:33 PM »

I'd love to show this to the pacient who told me not to work on dialysis.
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 01:00:19 PM »

I would choose Walter as a spokesperson for the Dialysis community any day.  I have to agree with his sentiment toward people who take their health for granted.  Do I want to call in sick to work every morning when I wake up.  Yes.  Have I ever done so?  No.

Not only to the "regs" and "norms" not understand what we endure to stay alive, they have no idea what a fight it is every single day to have a normal life.

Thanks Walter.  You're my new hero.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 01:23:26 PM »

Another dialyzor on recent episode of Undercover Boss

7-Eleven Boss Joe DePinto is the Newest 'Undercover Boss'

Jaimie Mancham-Case
Published February 22, 2010 by:

Last nights episode of Undercover Boss on CBS featured Joe DePinto, the CEO of 7-Eleven, and he seemed like he was very sincere in the fact that he wanted to better his company and make sure that headquarters was running well for all the franchise stores.

Day 1 - New York store
Dolores greets him. They sell the most coffee of any 7Elevein in the country. Dolores is really friendly and greets all the customers. Dolores was a regular bossy boots; it was really funny. Dolores is also on dialysis and only has one kidney, and Danny asks her if it was hard on her. He realizes that the 2500 cups of coffee that are sold are because of Delores and not because 7Eleven has great coffee.

Day 2 -Baltimore Bakery
Phil, head of trainees, greets Danny. The bakery items look good. It was interesting to see how the pastries are made. Phil has worked for 7Eleven for eight years, and he had a great attitude. Phil showed Danny his artwork, which showed that he had some great talent as an artist.

Day 3- Medford, NY Night shift
Waqas was the employee who was helping Danny out, and he complained that Danny wasn't working very hard. Waqas has worked for 7Eleven for four years and is getting his bachelor's degree in criminal justice. Danny was really upset that Waqas had to throw away all the left over food. Waqas dad brings them lunch, and during lunch Waqas tells Danny he wouldn't recommend anyone to work at 7Eleven because he thinks it is a dead-end job.

Day 4- NY
Lori, the manager, greets Danny. All the lights in the back room are out and lights in the front and maintenance was at the store only three weeks earlier. Support from maintenance is ridiculous, and Danny gives the COO a call to get the issues addressed immediately.

Day 5- Dallas, making deliveries
Igor, the delivery driver, greets Danny and is very friendly and funny. Igor says he loves his truck, and it is his baby. Danny asks Igor if he doesn't miss his wife working the night shift, and Igor says it is less time to argue. He also said that it means that on the weekends there are like lovers.

The Reveal
Everyone was really shocked that Danny was really Joe DePinto. He told Waqas that he would be his mentor, and if he wanted to stay at 7Eleven and go further in the company there he would help him.
He told Phil that he would like to help him succeed with his art and would use some of his art in their marketing.
He told Delores that he really enjoyed spending time with her. He is going to set up a Delores awareness program. And she loved the idea.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 04:04:26 PM »

I havent watched this because im in the UK , but ive read the dialogue youve written and from what i can gather it represents a man who works and carries on as normal , considering he has kidney failure ? If thats the case does it then not also represent the general public feeling that kidney failure is not that bad ? If someone can do this sort of thing while having kidney failure , then whats the big fuss about having it , it cant be that serious ? Im all for people being independant and living life to the best of their abilities , but doesnt that make it all the harder for people to see what we go through on a daily basis just to survive ?

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 06:49:10 PM »

I know~!  Now I feel like a real loser because I took a disability retirement.  I'm expecting my old boss to call me up and say WTF I thought you couldn't work!

:stressed;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »